Review of Obsidio by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff



Series: Illuminae #3
Genres: Sci-Fi, Horror
Pages: 615
Publisher: Alfred A. Knopf Books
Release Date: 13/03/2018
Find The Author (AK): (Website/Twitter)
Find The Author (JK): (Website/Twitter)
Find The Book: Book Depository/AbeBooks UK/US

Kady, Ezra, Hanna, and Nik narrowly escaped with their lives from the attacks on Heimdall station and now find themselves crammed with 2,000 refugees on the container ship, Mao. With the jump station destroyed and their resources scarce, the only option is to return to Kerenza—but who knows what they'll find seven months after the invasion?

Meanwhile, Kady's cousin, Asha, survived the initial BeiTech assault and has joined Kerenza's ragtag underground resistance. When Rhys—an old flame from Asha's past—reappears on Kerenza, the two find themselves on opposite sides of the conflict.

With time running out, a final battle will be waged on land and in space, heroes will fall, and hearts will be broken.


Whelp, I think I strapped myself onto a hype trebuchet and threw myself at the castle, only to smash into the walls with this one. I was so sure that this would be amazing after reading Illuminae and Gemina that I never considered that it might not be. It's a fantastic end to the series but really had a lot of problems.

I never connected with or cared for Rhys and Asha. Introducing characters in a final book is never a good idea and these characters were supposed to be the main characters of the book. Asha had this whole thing going on with a kid she was looking after and being part of the resistance movement against Bei-Tech, while Rhys was working for them. They spilt up a long time ago and never expected to see each other again etc.

Asha really confused me because I was convinced she had this huge traumatic backstory she was going to spill at any moment but that never happened. She just wasn't a well developed character and neither was Rhys, I couldn't tell ypu anything about their previous home life or their likes or dislikes and if I was told anything about their parents I'm sorry but I completely forgot.

I really enjoyed the reintroduction of the old team - Kady, Ezra, Hanna, Nik and Emma and AIDAN. It was fun to see them all in action and working together as a team, while facing impossible odds. Both couples had a chance to reflect on their relationships, especially after major deaths in previous books. I was really rooting for Emma to get a girlfriend though, cutting Rhys out completely and making Asha a gay character would have been a better idea for tying the spaceship with the colony.

Overall while this had it's problems (and I got really sick of translating swear words), this was a pretty great ending to the series (if I ignore Rhys and Asha) and I loved the final chapter. It really added to the story without feeling forced, or leaving room for yet another book which wasn't needed, so I really appreciated that. I left the final page on a high note but still a little sad to leave my favourite characters behind.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus