Review of Even If The Sky Falls by Mia Garcia



Genres: Contemporary, Romance
Pages: 304
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
Release Date: 10/05/2016
Find The Author: (Search everywhere, cannot find)
Find The Book: Book Depository/AbeBooks UK/US

All she needs is one night to be anyone she wants.

Julie is desperate for a change. So she heads to New Orleans with her youth group to rebuild houses and pretend her life isn’t a total mess. But between her super-clingy team leader and her way-too-chipper companions, Julie feels more trapped than ever.

In a moment of daring, she ditches her work clothes for DIY fairy wings and heads straight into the heart of Mid-Summer Mardi Gras, where she locks eyes with Miles, an utterly irresistible guy with a complicated story of his own. And for once, Julie isn’t looking back. She jumps at the chance to see the real New Orleans, and in one surreal night, they dance under the stars, share their most shameful secrets, and fall in love.

But their adventure takes an unexpected turn when an oncoming hurricane changes course. As the storm gains power and Julie is pulled back into chaos she finds pretending everything is fine is no longer an option.


I've been in a reading slump lately, reading bad book after bad book so when I picked this up, I was really hoping that it wouldn't let me down - and somehow the book gods heard me and granted my wish. This is a really cute contemporary romance story, showing 24 hours of Jules life - a bit like The Statistical Probability Of Love At First Sight. I wasn't expecting the whirlwind of emotion that hit me but I loved every moment.

The story is simple, Jules is volunteering with a group of other teenagers, helping to build houses in New Orleans, while she tries to escape her home life. Then she has to escape her overbearing, extremely creepy group leader and finds herself in the middle of Mardi Gras. Connecting with a beautiful stranger, they spend the night exploring the city, not realising that a terrible storm is on the way.

I only know of New Orleans, as I don't typically read books about it, watch it on TV and I'm certainly not lucky enough to visit. Still, I had a vague concept of Mardi Gras when I started reading. Somehow I was still completely transported into that world thanks to Mia's incredible writing and much like Jules, I just let myself be dragged along for the ride.

I really liked the romance between Miles and Jules. It wasn't quite insta love, more realistic. Like when you see a cute person at a club and decide they're cute so spend the night with them (I've literally never done I don't even venture out for necessities what am I talking about). Also (SPOILERY CONTENT WARNING) there is a bit of the old shimmy shimmy later in the book so this may be one for older YA readers.

The ending was one of those "would rip the pages if my kindle had any" moments and quickly switched for a summery romance to a horrifying action packed drama. It worked though, I realised just how much I loved these characters and had to stop myself skim reading to see if any of them were hurt or worse. I was pretty sad to leave the book but I'm looking forward to seeing what Mia releases next.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Many Covers Monday - ALL THE HARRY POTTER SERIES

Many Covers Monday: 13 Reasons Why by Jay Asher

Many Covers Monday: One Of Us Is Lying by Karen M. McManus